Thursday, January 10, 2013

Getting (and loosing) a Job Overseas - Last Day

Today is my last day at work. 

Actually, I've been considering myself as unemployed for months now:  My boss announced that she wasn't renewing my contract, and after a half hearted attempt to re-place me the talking heads involved in the transfer announced unambiguously that "actually it's not in our power to hire you".  Uh huh. 

For me, this meant that I spent a few uncomfortable months walking around like nothing but a ghost.  My coworkers went through excruciating lengths to ignore me, and I happily returned the favor.  My boss became afraid of me, and started to hide.  I can't say I was disappointed. 

One coworker is asking tons of personal questions, but I am avoiding him.  How rude to show interest specifically on the last day... He rudely interrupted me yesterday by saying "we're not in the market place!  Go get a coffee, some people have to work here!" as if it isn't his habit to chat loudly with his wife children at all hours of the day.

Another coworker wisely comments randomly about the finality of suicide, and looks sadly and mysteriously at me.  I make fun of him later, but subtly, by telling him about a mythical suicidal uncle and his retirement plan.  He doesn't find it funny, that's the point though. 

The third was always the most human to me, and I suppose I'll miss him somewhat.  He is overworked and quite distracted, but how can I feel sorry for him?  He never trusted me to lighten his workload, if he had I might have ended up infinitely more happy.  Happy and employed.

So finally the last day is here, and I feel quite a bit relieved... I know that soon I can surf the internet and do random research from the comfort of my own home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment