Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Getting (and loosing) a Job Overseas - Prologue

I did not get my job in the traditional way, through interviews and resumes and searches.  Instead I participated in a competition for an internship at a local business, organized through university channels. 

The way the competition was formulated gave me an idea of what I was getting myself into.  Firstly, they did not offer any idea of whether the internship would be paid, for what duration, or what the expectations and needs of the organization were.  Secondly, the requirements were only an age limit and participation in a university, but the required information was comparatively demanding, basically amounting to a resume.  Thirdly, the rules seemed to be flexible.  The webpage changed a couple times, and although it vaguely mentioned an international competition, it wasn't clear what the time frame for this would be, or how that particular competition would be set up. 

Many people, when I told them I was participating, asked, "Are you sure this isn't just a glorified and  particularly demanding interview process?"  and I'd answer "I'm pretty sure this is just a glorified and particularly demanding interview process!".    The competition only required us to present a project with a five page writeup.  We had to work in pairs (to prove our dedication to teamwork), and submit in English (because the company is international). 

My partner was fairly lazy, and wasn't particularly excitable or motivatable, but I intended to WIN this glorified interview process, so I picked up the slack.  I wrote up an inane project in one evening, and finished the slides only minutes before the deadline.  Minutes after the deadline my partner called to ask me if I had time to meet and discuss the project.  Ha. 

When the presentation date rolled in, I got increasingly nervous.  More and more people were asking what my chances were of winning, and to be true, I had not a single clue.  I needn't have worried, once the competition was underway, my project was clearly the best idea, the most prepared, and the best presented.  I launched into my presentation with enthusiasm and conviction.  My partner stood by my side with his mouth hanging open.  People asked me how I had come here, what I was doing here, what I was studying.  They wanted to know how I managed to live here, why I wanted to stay here, what I did before coming here.  It was clear that I hadn't sold my idea, I sold myself. 

The awards ceremony wasn't until the next month, so for a few uncomfortable months I was reliving those minutes and wondering if I had really won or if there was another chance to get into the organization.  I didn't have to worry.  They sweetened the deal for all the competitors.  We were served champagne, truffles and all manner of finger foods.  We were treated to a small concert of talented musicians.  We were announced tri-lingually and praised by the president of the bank and the dean of the university as the talented students who could change the world regardless of winning status.  And then we won.  It all went into my head for a bit, and for several hours I was even proud.

In the next months though, I was not so happy.  I knew I had earned an internship, but human resources was ignoring my emails and calls.  Clearly what I had won was really being an intern on retainer. 

Finally, nearly four months later, I got a call and was invited to a meeting with one of the big heads.  He informed me that the company would be rolling out a few very important projects, and without going into details, stressed that someone with my background would be vital.  I agreed that I would like to do something suitable to my background, and so he basically informed me that I was hired (of course with a few 'ifs') and introduced me to my new boss.

She was a woman whose voices sounded twenty odd years older than her face looked.  I had a really hard time understanding her thick accent (in a language foreign to me!)  and I was distracted by her office, which was filled with random containers of dead flowers.  She talked and talked and talked about needing someone who understands processes, and I nodded along until finally I had a job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment